Follow billgraziano on Twitter

Consulting

SQL Server

Anti-Spam Measures

I've finally put up a CAPTCHA test for comment posting.  This should reduce the amount of comment spam we've been getting.  All the credit goes to Davide Mauri for creating a detailed list of instructions for implementing this in .TEXT.  You can find the details on his other blog.  Previously I had restricted comments on posts older than 30 days.  I've removed that restriction.  Please let me know if there are any problems or if something doesn't look quite right.

I want to add that this uses a great HIP control by Kevin Gearing. Thanks Kevin!

Print | posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 9:45 AM | Filed Under [ Site Related ]

# All right!

Everything working perfectly! (Just remember the HIP *is* CASE SENSITIVE!)
5/30/2005 12:50 PM | Davide Mauri

# Cool

IT works. I recently added a trigger for my .TEXT install to prevent the comments from being added, its not perfect as i still get the odd one or two, but it seems to have stopped the spam that has rapidly increased in the last few days.

I think its time to go up to the community server, but its so unstable.

I might implement this CAPTCHA as will, just to makesure its all gone.
5/30/2005 7:31 PM | Kieran

# I don't see anymore spam

But I am getting emails saying that the spam has occured. I got 12 emails today, but nothing in the blog.

Now I'm not complaining. The emails are way easier to delete. But what gives?
5/31/2005 8:24 AM | Brett (Not just a Number...huh?)

# Two issues

1) Title of a comment should default to "Re: [post title]". At least, that's how it usually works in .TEXT

2) Should probably remove the case-sensitivity that Davide mentioned, if possible -- that is a definite usability issue IMO.
5/31/2005 9:46 AM | Adam Machanic

# re:

Nice ! I do agree with Adam about the default comment title, though -- especially since it is a required field.
5/31/2005 11:17 AM | Jeff

# Required Comment

The comment field was my mistake. I've updated the code but would like to do a little testing tonight before I roll it out. It should be fixed by tomorrow. I'll have to look into the case-sensitive comparison. Not sure exactly how to fix that yet.
5/31/2005 12:46 PM | Graz

# re: Anti-Spam Measures

And the comparison for the HIP code is no longer case-sensitive. Thanks Kevin! Very easy to use. Now someone just needs a NAnt script to roll the whole thing out.
6/2/2005 1:19 PM | Graz

# re: Anti-Spam Measures

lookin' good, Graz !
6/2/2005 2:40 PM | Jeff

# re: Anti-Spam Measures

(and not case-sensitive either!)
6/2/2005 2:40 PM | Jeff

# re: Anti-Spam Measures

please tell how to stop anti spam for chikka
3/27/2006 8:55 PM | men