Joe Webb

Musing and observations about SQL Server, other technogies, and sometimes just life in general

This blog has moved!

Click here for the new location.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Search this Blog

About me

Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Thanks to everyone who attended my "Identifying Performance Bottlenecks" session this morning at DevTeach/SQLTeach. As promised, here is the PowerPoint slide deck I used during the presentation.

Regarding the question of on the performance of LINQ, Bob Beauchemin recently posted a series of blogs entries on the topic. Here's a link.

And here's a link to series of posts on the Dynamic Management Views (DMVs) that Louis Davidson authored.

Cheers!

Joe

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:47 AM | Filed Under [ SQL Server Current Events Community ]

# re: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Thenks Joe for the slide.

"Using defaults" is included in the "Causes of bottlenecks". Please explain this.
I am interesed to know more about this. In our project we have "Default value or binding" for all the columns/UDDT. I wish to know, how it causes bottleneck.

Regards,

Suresh
5/19/2008 1:50 AM | Suresh

# re: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

I'm interesting at this document, ..., but I can't access it.
Can you send it to me at .ppt format, nor .pptx ?

Thanks in adavance, Julio.
5/19/2008 8:33 AM | Julio Vallejo Lafuente

# re: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

I've got the presentation in a VPC. I'll convert it the next time I boot it up. In the meantime, here's a link to a pptx viewer that will allow you to view the presentation. You'll probably need the viewer at some point in the future anyway.

Cheers!

Joe
5/19/2008 10:00 AM | Joe Webb

# re: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Hi Suresh -

Yes, the using defaults doesn't refer to the default values for columns, but to using the default model database definitions - default location, default size, default growth patterns, etc. In the session I explain this, but when just reviewing it can be a bit ambiguous.

I hope you find the material worthwhile.

Cheers!

Joe
5/19/2008 10:07 AM | Joe Webb

# re: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for the wonderful presentation @ devlink. I am not able to access the Pwoerpoint point Slides. Can you please send it to me.

Thanks,