How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

I've seen this question pop up here, and i think it's usefull to post it here, since not every one reads the forums (you should! :))

We'll in this thread at the end of the first page there's a procedure on how to downgrade a db from SQL Server 2k5 to SQL server 2000.

Enjoy it.

Print | posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:45 AM | Filed Under [ SQL Server ]

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

Hello everyone,

Great Tutorial on how to downgrade a server from 2005 to 2000. Only the last step to restore the Foreign Keys and Triggers is not working for me:

----- Action -----
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Account]') AND type in (N'U'))

----- Result -----
Server: Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'sys.objects'.

I hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I did the tutorial twice I thought maby I did something wrong... but I think i did to it exactly as he told me so.

Maby the problem is that the two servers (2000/2005) are running on the same machine?

Thanks
Bjorn

If you need more information just let me know!
3/28/2007 4:27 PM | Bjorn van der Neut

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

try using 'sysobjects' instead of 'sys.objects'

if that doesn't work as the question in the original tread where the author posted the way.
3/28/2007 4:46 PM | Mladen

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

Try the following:

The table sys.objects on sql2K is named sysobjects and the column object_id is named id

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Account]') AND type in (N'U'))
6/14/2007 4:46 AM | Jenny

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

Hi,

If you use Visual Web Developer 2008, visit this link for a better solution! :-)

Pettrer
12/18/2007 6:33 PM | Pettrer

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

I have recently downgraded a database from SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2000. I used SQL server data publishing wizard and SQL server management studio to accomplish the task. If you wish to know the details, please read the post at: http://www.geekays.net/post/Moving-SQL-Server-2005-Express-databases-to-SQL-Server-2000.aspx

Regards
Kangkan
2/23/2009 9:15 AM | Kangkan

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

What about just using Generate Scripts from the Management Studio?

3/6/2009 9:10 AM | Oyen

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

i have 2005 .mdf file and i have attach it to 2000 sql server
3/19/2009 8:48 AM | shailesh

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

Does this work with SharePoint Databases?
I have a team site setup using SQl2005 Exprress and we are getting close to filling up the datatbase.
5/15/2009 9:12 PM | Keith

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

a database is a database so i'd say yes. never done that to a sharepoint db though.
5/15/2009 9:33 PM | Mladen

# re: How to Downgrade a Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000

I was able to successfully downgrade the database, it was actually very easy, but a bit time consuming.
Now however the site won't work, I get page not found. But i realize that is not an issue for this forum.
Just giving an update.