.Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

A negative Width value??

I can hear it now:

Are you insane Mladen?? Do you want our apps going around looking ugly??

Well... of course I do! It means i can go around fixing them for big bucks :))

But joking aside, -1 and -2 width values are very usefull.

Setting the width to be -1 means that the column will have the width of the longest item in it.

Setting the width to be -2 means that the column will have the width of the column heading.

Pretty cool, no?

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:25 PM | Filed Under [ .Net ]

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

Are you insane ???? This is madness!
8/29/2007 8:40 PM | Jeff

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

hmm... so now i'm not sure if you're being serious or not, jeff. :)
8/29/2007 8:42 PM | Mladen

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)
8/29/2007 10:18 PM | Jeff

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

8/30/2007 6:05 PM | DuncanS

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

i knew i forgot to put in something... thanx Duncan!
8/30/2007 6:08 PM | Mladen

# re: .Net Windows Forms ListView ColumnHeader width tip. Set it to -1 or -2.

It seems little jewels like this pop up and get forgotten again every other year. I posted about it back in 2003, including doing the same with API calls in VB6, which isn't important, except that there was a comment left there that may prove helpful to someone.

Specifically, the commenter had a problem with the autosizing of the last column not happening, which was only solved by setting the width to -2 *after* filling the ListView with data. Not sure if this has been resolved in later versions of .NET.

Thanks for shining light again on this obscure setting!

9/1/2007 5:40 AM | Eric W. Bachtal