Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

I can't stress this enough:

Never ever call me on my work phone as a form of the first contact!

Unless I know you and have given you permission to call me, don't. Send me an email instead.

I don't have anything against recruiters, I think their jobs are very important in the greater scheme of things.

I also never give my work phone number away, and if I have to I give my mobile phone number to people.

So it's beyond me how do recruiters think it's actually OK to call me at work. It shows disrespect to me and to the company I work for.

And that is NOT OK. Not even if you're offering me the most amazing job in the universe.

But for a minute lets say it's OK and I have no problem with the call. There are a number of things that can go wrong here:

- I'm in a really lousy mood for whatever reason

- my boss answers the phone (now I don't know about others but my current boss is very cool and has no problem with it but others may not be so lucky)

- you disrupt my coding zone. And I get REALY annoyed if I have to break out of my zone.

- I'm in a meeting or something similar

- other stuff I haven't thought of ...

If any of the above happens to be true you've just lost me as a potential candidate.

And lets get something straight: You need me more than I need you. And that translates into lost revenue for you.

So you see an email is a much better way to make first contact. Then we can talk about scheduling a call if it's needed.

Come on, be smart about it!

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:07 PM | Filed Under [ Misc Work Conditions ]

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

Heh, methinks there is an interesting story behind this post...

I'm not a recruiter, so this is just a WAG, but it could be that ONE of the reasons recruiters use the phone instead of email is to protect you from an overbearing corporate entity that monitors all email and might fire you if it thought you were looking around. There are probably other reasons such as the phone being a richer communication medium than email, but as I said, I'm just guessing...
7/24/2008 9:26 PM | AjarnMark

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

that's why i use my yahoo mail for all non work related communication. :)
7/24/2008 9:30 PM | Mladen

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

Did this guy have a bad day ?

If you're not able to handle disruptions then you shouldn't be in IT first of all.
7/25/2008 12:26 AM | sqlgoof

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

well sqlgoof, the point of the post are not disruptions.
7/25/2008 12:29 AM | Mladen

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

Guess someone has pis*** you off....well, you're in IT...phones are usual mandatory (there are many reasons: team needs you, boss needs you, etc.), especially if you work with customers. Look on the other side, how should they contact you, if you dont want to be phoned or emailed. They wont go to the company and request a meeting regarding your new opportunity :) just a thought...
7/25/2008 10:11 AM | Bojanv

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

noone has pissed me off at all :))

I have nothing against phones and people calling me.
But NOT as the first contact. that's what email is for.
7/25/2008 10:23 AM | Mladen

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

Also, I think a recruiter has a much better chance of getting a person to take a job if he doesn't let them know that the job is a big mess and that they need someone to clean up their crap.
7/31/2008 3:28 PM | Henry Stilson

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

I don't believe recruiters should be calling you at your current job (office). Use non-work email then call using a cell when your out of the office.
7/31/2008 3:46 PM | BoC

henry and boc: exactly!
7/31/2008 3:59 PM | Mladen

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

First of all we need to remember that work is work and that goes for time, telephone, and email. We are being paid to perform a job or function. Unfortunately there is a lot of time wasted by those who conduct non-work related activities while on the clock.

Secondly, those who work in the IT field understand that it is not all huevo's to the wall - code, code, develop, etc etc...I think we'd go insane if that were the case.

Do draw a line between personal and work, it's just good ethics, you don't have to worry about someone listening in on your conversation or reading your email, and you have the satisfaction of being a responsible worker...no matter what you think about the company you work for.

A clear conscience goes a long way.
7/31/2008 4:55 PM | Chuck

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

I agree, I would much rather be contacted via email first and get an idea if i want to go the next step and talk to the recruiter. When I post my resume online, I get a lot of contacts, and I need time to consider the job. Its easier to ponder over several emails than to try to think of questions on the phone.
7/31/2008 5:25 PM | Lisa

# re: Number one advice to recruiters from an IT guy

Hmmmmmmm, Well I beleive that most of you seem to have a very high preception of yourself or you are a IT manager. The work is what it is IT key pounding, Bit head ,ect ect ........ I work in IT and have done the code pounding myself and I have never minded a cold call it's called net working and the use of good phone edicate never hurt anyone. Look just give the person your personel email addy and request they contact you with information about the postion they are talking about. Customer service is customer service no matter who it may be. Remmber networking is networking this person you beleive may be bugging you may be an excellent resource for contacts to areas you may have a need for or need help with. It's the nature of the business peeps.
8/1/2008 3:57 PM | SQLhead