SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

This new version brings one completely new feature and a few improved old ones.

The new feature is Window Connection Coloring.
It includes a colored strip indicator that can be docked to any side of the window.

Improved features include:

You can also take a look at the full feature list.

Hope you enjoy the best free Add-In for SQL Server Management Studio out there!

And if you're feeling extra generous there's always PayPal. After all i do have to pay for hosting and stuff, right? :)

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 1:10 PM | Filed Under [ SQL Server SSMS Tools Pack ]

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Excellent stuff. SSMS tools really help polish off the product.
2/10/2009 1:00 PM | Twitter Integration

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

hmm... so now i'm not sure if you mean it or you just want to SEO up your site :)
2/10/2009 1:03 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Both to be honest! Apologies, I shall refrain in future.
2/10/2009 5:27 PM | Rhys

lol. no worries.
2/10/2009 5:39 PM | Mladen

hey mladen,

Great addin. totally love it. btw, the only feature that i really want right now in an SSMS add-in is subversion integration. All the tools i have seen that are SCC providers that work in VS 2005/2008 don't work in SSMS. ankhsvn is really the model of how these things should work, but it doesn't install for some reason.

Any chance you could look at implementing basic SVN access to SSMS with you add-in in the future?

-ec
2/11/2009 1:29 AM | eyechart

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

well if you can point me to a dll that does this i guess i could add the wrapepr around it... :)
2/11/2009 11:29 AM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Does this addon work with SSMS 2008 ? After I install sql server 2008 I use only its ssms, they made a lot of impovements in the last version.
2/11/2009 2:37 PM | Remote DBA

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

yes it works for ssms 2008 as is evident from the download page :)
2/11/2009 2:58 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Looks great - I intend on downloading this for personal use asap.

What's the deal on a commercial scale? Is this classed as open-source, freeware, etc?

P.S. some of the links you've posted are b0rked
2/11/2009 5:54 PM | georgev

@georgev:
thanx for the link info. i've fixed them.

it's freeware. you can freely use it. it's not open source though.
If you like it you can donate.
of course you can't try to sell this as your own.
that's about it.
2/11/2009 6:00 PM | Mladen

Great SSMS add-in.

2/12/2009 2:43 PM | Mitch

thanx :)
2/12/2009 2:45 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Here is the link to the SharpSVN subversion binding that you could use http://sharpsvn.open.collab.net/

it is used by the ankhsvn tool to provide subversion integration to visual studio. Thanks for taking a look.

-ec
2/12/2009 6:04 PM | eyechart

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

How to download it? I don't see a download button or link.

Thanks.
2/17/2009 4:41 PM | Arthur Fuller

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

it's on the www.ssmstoolspack.com site
2/17/2009 5:51 PM | Mladen

It's interesting Add-in.

Thnx Mladen for sharing it with others.

Hvala Mladene. I pozdrav iz Hrvatske.

Davor
2/17/2009 6:50 PM | Davor

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

@Davor: hvala! pozdrav iz slovenije :)
2/17/2009 10:29 PM | Mladen

@eyechart:
maybe you should look into this
2/23/2009 12:28 AM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

Thanks for the heads up, totally missed it

+1 for my favorite tool
2/23/2009 7:18 PM | Jerry Hung

@Mladen:
I'm not sure what you are linking to at http://www.codeplex.com/SSMSAddins/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

That project hosts a number of SSMS addins, but they have nothing to do with integrating SSMS and SVN.
3/6/2009 10:47 PM | eyechart

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

The latest version includes a lot of nice enhancements and seams to work a little more fluidly. A few more enhancements that come to mind are the ability to expand and collapse the regions using shortcut keys like in Visual Studio (Ctrl+M, M - Expand and Collapse the current region, Ctrl+M, O - Collapse all regions and Ctrl+M, P Expand all regions). This comes in very handy when opening up an SPROC for editing as the SSMS Find will not look in collapsed regions even with the "Search hidden text" option turned on. My other thought is have an option for the order the columns are created in for the CRUD generation (something other than sorted order). Keep up the good work.
5/15/2009 4:01 PM | TechnoDex

@TechnoDex:
region auto collapsing and stuff isn't exposed in ssms shell so i can't do anything about that.
for CRUD the ordering is already done and ill be in the next version.
5/15/2009 4:05 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

I'm excited to try your tool, but do not understand how to get it to work. Ran the installation, using SSMSE 2005. Do I need to update the registry, drop your DDLLs somewhere specific, tell SSMS to use them? I'm sure this is a simple explanation, but I cannot find an answer online anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
7/31/2009 6:06 PM | Ed

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.5 is out with Window Connection Coloring

you download the correct SSMS Tools Pack installer for SSMS Express. run it. start SSMS express and that's it.
you get extended functionality like it's show in on the features page.
7/31/2009 6:19 PM | Mladen