This is something I haven't noticed before but I think it's mighty cool!

When you choose to Include the Actual Execution Plan in SSMS 2008 it suggest any missing indexes it thinks that are needed. Plus it also calculates the performance benefit from adding them.

I'm guessing the number (green 84.7361 in the picture) is in percent... So it's like a Database Tuning Advisor "Lite" :))

And best of all this also works when you're connected to a SQL Server 2000 or 2005.

This is what it looks like:

SuggestIndexExecPlan

I'm starting to like this new SSMS more and more.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 8:10 PM | Filed Under [ SQL Server ]

# re: SQL Server Management Studio 2008 suggests missing indexes with actual execution plan

SQL Server 2005 suggested missing indexes also but it wasn't displayed quite the same way. If you open the properties window and highlight the top level select of that above plan from SSMS 2005 against SQL 2005 you should see the list of suggested indexes with an impact number.
1/1/2009 4:00 PM | Mike Walsh

cool!
did not know that.
thanx Mike
1/2/2009 2:33 PM | Mladen

I ran into this by complete accident a couple of days ago - I was really surprised to find the CREATE INDEX code at a mouse click!
1/2/2009 4:52 PM | Ian Kirk

Yeah Suggesting Missing Index would be really helpful. I also haven't noticed that yet.

Thanks
1/5/2009 5:07 AM | Ravi Khanal

really happy to find this ssms 08..

feel relaxed and kool with this
1/11/2009 3:52 AM | prem

Uhm.. Before we all get too excited, don't trust the machines :-)

Always check if the suggestion makes sense. In my case, adding it made no significant difference, and it still complained of a missing index after I added it.

Check the query plans, do the math and determine if there is a need or not. In our app, (oltp type app), adding yet another index would most likely be deterimental to the transaction day-to-day operational side. Need to check all this carefully before accepting a machine's suggestion.

Mike.
11/5/2009 11:13 PM | mike H

For me, when I use this with large queries, when I try to hover over or right-click on the missing index message the Microsoft SQL Management Studio hangs/crashes for like 15 seconds before it brings up a right-click menu. This seems to have something to do with it trying to display the query in a pop-up/overlay balloon. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix that or just turn that ballooon option off?
7/13/2010 3:48 PM | Roman