SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the STP is back to rock your world!

The new feature is SQL Snippets to speed up your development.

This new version brings one completely new option, full GUI redesign, completely rewritten installer, improved error handling and reporting, bug fixes and old features improvements.
Type in the assigned shortcut, press enter or tab and get the snippet you need.
It's quick, clean and saves time!

Some of more visible improved features include:

SSMS 2008 R2 is supported but expect quirks in it due to the CTP status.

Due to a folder naming installer bug in version 1.5 please uninstall any and all previous versions before installing the 1.7 version.

Print | posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Filed Under [ SQL Server SSMS Tools Pack ]

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

I particularly like the last code-snippet on the list. It should come in handy.
10/26/2009 4:51 PM | Michael Swart

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

my little contribution to the hard working DBA's of the workld who need venting. :)
10/26/2009 4:53 PM | Mladen

Also see
10/26/2009 5:18 PM | Michael Swart

sweet! :)
10/26/2009 5:19 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Thanks Mladen, these tools are fantastic.
10/27/2009 5:20 AM | Scott Herbert

This is awesome! Thanks.
10/27/2009 5:28 AM | Harshal

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Please, if you post any news about a new release, provide readers with a link to the download page.
10/27/2009 9:42 AM | Tran Ngoc Van

@Tran Ngoc Van
i guess it's hard to find a download link on the site, huh? :)
10/27/2009 11:11 AM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Mladen, Excelliant tool! I found this some time ago. (maybe a year ago, now?). Anyway, as you mention there are some quirkes in the 2008 version. I am a bit confused on your instructions on the site though. You mention uninstalling 1.5 versions before installing 1.7. Since I am running 2005/2008 versions I have uninstalled as you say, but can I then reinstall 2008? Or does this new version work with both?
Cheers!
10/27/2009 7:17 PM | @SQLAJ

@SQLAJ :
there are quirkes only in the 2008 R2 version but they have nothing to do with installing.
you have to uninstall both STP 2005 and 2008 versions. then run the 1.7 installer whihc has both 2005 and 2008 versions inside.
also you'll need .net 3.5 installed.
10/27/2009 7:22 PM | Mladen

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Mladen, any chance you have tested this in combination with Red-Gate's SQLPrompt? It has a snippets feature, too. I'm excited about getting hold of Query Execution History, but curious whether your snippets feature will clash with SQLPrompt's snippets.
10/29/2009 8:31 PM | AjarnMark

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

it works ok with sql prompt. if the shortcut is the same the sql prompt one is used.
if sql prompt doesn't have the shortcut then STPs is used.
10/29/2009 10:56 PM | Mladen

@Mladen:

Would it be possible to color also the "Edit Top x Rows" window ?
11/2/2009 9:51 AM | Meixger

i'll see what i can do
11/2/2009 11:18 AM | Mladen

Good Job, Mladen! I love the SQL Snippets! Paypal donation is on the way
11/11/2009 9:14 AM | Frank Hell

# re: SSMS Tools Pack 1.7 is out! New feature: SQL Snippets

Actually i am using SQL server 2005. Can I have that feature in 2005.
11/26/2009 7:50 AM | Ping