Ramblings of a DBA

Tara Kizer

Search this Blog

Work

Idera's SQL admin toolset

We are required to start auditing our SQL Servers for various data points.  We did not want to write a custom tool if at all possible, so we started looking for third-party products.  We found Idera's SQL admin toolset.  It doesn't collect all of the information that we want to audit, but it's a great start.

Excerpt from their site about the tool:

Are you a DBA or developer tired of spending countless hours on routine administrative and troubleshooting tasks, like figuring out why a user can't connect, or moving databases, or producing reports for your boss to show that the backups really did run, or finding rogue SQL Servers, or checking configurations or…. yeah, we know, the list is endless.

If the answer is yes then, you need our SQL admin toolset. Packed with 24 powerful tools that will make troubleshooting, administration and reporting such a breeze you'll be wondering what to do with all the spare time you have on your hands - really! Download now and see.

I do not work for Idera.  I am not getting paid to write this nor was I asked to write this.  I found this tool to be so useful that I wanted to bring it to other's attention, especially since it's free to use right now.

Print | posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Filed Under [ SQL Server - Database Administration ]

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

built in sql server auditing doesn't work for you?
6/12/2008 2:14 AM | Mladen

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

It is a good toolset. I've been using the beta for a while now and we'll be buying two copies of it while the price is cheap :).
6/12/2008 5:56 AM | Zack Jones

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

Mladen,

We have to audit hundreds of servers, so we need a tool that can report on our items all at once. Plus we are auditing quite a bit of information.
6/12/2008 9:37 AM | Tara

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

Hey Tara,

In sake of proper disclosure - the company I work for is an Idera reseller. :)

I have yet to test the SQL admin toolset, but I heard that it has a lot of useful features.

However, I wanted to ask what your take on Idera's auditing application - Compliance Manager - is. It uses traces to collect all the information.

Best regards,
S. Neumann
6/14/2008 1:56 AM | Saggi Neumann

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

I haven't used Compliance Manager before, but Idera did come to our offices to demo all of their products a couple of years back. We didn't end up purchasing any of them due to the licensing scheme, but we did like what we saw.

The stuff that we are auditing are things like SQL build numbers, who's got sysadmin, backups, and other important DBA stuff. We aren't auditing at the application level as that would need to be requested by the application people. Our exercise is for the DBA team.
6/16/2008 10:57 AM | Tara

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

Is it just me or is this page not rendering properly?
7/30/2008 9:10 AM | Phillip

# re: Idera's SQL admin toolset

Phillip,

I'm not sure if it's just you or not, but I tried the page in a few different browsers and it renders fine in each. Could you describe what you are seeing?
7/30/2008 9:27 AM | Tara