SharePoint for BI Suggestion Topics

One of my favorite things to do each month is write SQL Server Magazine's Essential BI column. I write two posts for the column each month. About a month ago I started to focus on SharePoint for Business Intelligence (BI) topics. For those of you who don't know, SharePoint is Microsoft's BI portal platform.

If you have ever seen a Microsoft BI slide deck then you probably know of the ‘hamburger slide’. The ‘hamburger slide’ is a common slide which shows that SharePoint is the outer-most layer in the Microsoft BI stack. Below is the slide, notice how SharePoint Server is at the top with its various BI capabilities in the tabs:

My last two posts for the Essential BI column has been on SharePoint for BI topics. First, I wrote about SharePoint's overall key BI features including integration points with the other pieces of Microsoft BI software. Next, I created a piece on how you can use Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 for BI. A lot of companies have access to WSS 3.0 via Windows Server licenses but do not have the larger Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server (MOSS) edition.

From here I have some additional topics, the first of which I have just begun to write:

·         MOSS BI: Data Connection Libraries

·         MOSS BI: Native KPIs/Dashboards/Filter WebParts

·         MOSS BI: Enterprise Search for BI/Business Data Catalog (BDC)

*Excel Services was recently written about quite well by Paul Vaughn in this month’s edition of SQL Server Magazine (August 2008).

Where would like to see additional content on SharePoint BI? What SharePoint BI topics are important to you that I have not yet covered? Send me an email at dcomingore@scalabilityexperts.com or feel free to leave a comment on this blog.

Print | posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 5:55 PM

# re: SharePoint for BI Suggestion Topics

Left by Vidas Matelis at 8/1/2008 8:52 PM
Gravatar Derek,

I am using SharePoint + Excel 2007 as front end for SSAS access. I would be interested in following topics:

After SharePoint setup is done, how can I make this site "user friendly" for SSAS reporting. That is how can I make user easily see all available connections (lets say 30 cubes) . How can I "suggest" user to shave report in specific SharePoint library? How can I "suggest" that user Publish pivot tables and charts instead of Saving spreadsheet in the SharePoint. I have seen different approaches for that and would like hear about different options.

Also, I would be interested in the step by step guide on installing SharePoint specifically for BI site. Currently setup is not that easy and requires SharePoint person in the company. I would hope that such guide would inspire more DBA to try SharePoint approach even if they don't have SharePoint resource available.

Vidas Matelis

# re: SharePoint for BI Suggestion Topics

Left by Derek Comingore at 8/1/2008 9:17 PM
Gravatar Vidas, thanks for the great suggestions!

# re: SharePoint for BI Suggestion Topics

Left by columbia jackets at 10/21/2010 4:16 PM
Gravatar A lot of companies have access to WSS 3.0 via Windows Server licenses but do not have the larger Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server (MOSS) edition.

snow boots for women | columbia sportswear outlet | cheap mac makeup | the north face jackets

womens snow boots | columbia sportswear | cheap makeup | cheap north face jackets

# wrfxvdr

Left by ihtzpfvrgkk at 2/7/2012 4:54 PM
Gravatar MFCuXl ecpzdqeeixky, [url=http://gcejipfxhaha.com/]gcejipfxhaha[/url], [link=http://zbaqzfdlmqlk.com/]zbaqzfdlmqlk[/link], http://kqluehzxobyi.com/

# gtrie

Left by Habywpbk at 2/8/2012 3:04 PM
Gravatar sculptor gratuits - gratuits

# oauph

Left by Nydytoah at 2/9/2012 3:01 AM
Gravatar earnestness loan - loan

# niritq

Left by Xqyhzzio at 2/25/2012 9:56 PM
Gravatar jlg kopa liv.52 - kopa liv.52

# vuzcpjeml

Left by Dhoqywad at 2/26/2012 4:28 AM
Gravatar squeezebox acheter menosan - acheter menosan

# icclr

Left by Askbxaxt at 2/26/2012 3:48 PM
Gravatar cohabit comprar micardis - comprar micardis