Running your SSMS client as a domain user even if you’re not in a domain

I wonder if it is possible to use the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) client on my machine with a specific domain user when my machine wasn’t in that domain. In fact, many developers use some SSMS add-ons installed on their machine (with appropriate licenses), which greatly simplify their daily work.

For example, I’m a Red Gate SQL Prompt addicted Smile, so it’d be convenient for me to work on customers’ SQL Server instances with this tool. After reading Davide Mauri’s post, a friend and collegue of mine, I created a batch file in order to specify a domain and a user for SSMS:

@echo off
echo ***************************************
echo *** Run SSMS 2008 R2 as domain user ***
echo ***************************************
echo.

set /P user="Type the domain\username: "

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /netonly /user:%user% "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

Then, you can create on your desktop a shortcut to the file batch previously developed and you can also change the shortcut icon, using the same SSMS icon (get it from the Ssms.exe file). Now if you double-click on the shortcut, you can set domain and user for the SSMS client on-the-fly:

So enjoy using your “personal” SSMS client on your preferred domain Smile

Comments

1. Gravatar Justin says:

Re : # re: Running your SSMS client as a domain user even if you’re not in a domain

I actually ran into a situation a couple of weeks ago where this would have been very useful. I needed to connect to another sql server instance on another domain. I ended up installing SSMS on another machine in that domain. It was a hassle.

I have to give this a try. Thanks so much!
  2. Gravatar lucazav says:

You're welcome Justin :) Let me know if it works
  3. Gravatar lucazav says:

Enjoy with this small trick! :)
  4. Gravatar colinr says:

or you can just use the normal method, Hold Down shift key and right click when starting Management Studio and use the "Run as differant user" option.

5. Gravatar lucazav says:

Thank you for this shortcut, colinr! I didn't know it!
  6. Gravatar lucazav says:

Using the colinr's shortcut, the prompted domain user has to be configured on your machine.
    Using the batch I showed in my post, this constraint disappears, so you can use whatever domain user you need.
  7. Gravatar Cayle says:

I told my kids we'd play after I found what I nedeed. Damnit.
  8. Gravatar Tim Cares says:

I could not get this to work. SMSS.exe launches but still has my current domain\username (not the one in the .bat file), which are grayed out.
  9. Gravatar lucazav says:

Hi Tim. After you launch SSMS thru the .bat, you'll always see the SQL Server service's domain/user near the SQL Server instance node, but the effective domain/user will be the ones you provided in the .bat.
    I hope this can help you. Let me know
  10. Gravatar Sekhar says:

I am using this script in xp, its not prompting fro password and exiting the script, Please let me know, if i am missing any thing
    Thanks
  11. Gravatar lucazav says:

Hi Sekhar,

I suppose the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe" is wrong. Have you a 32-bit Windows XP? If so, removing the " (x86)" string from the previous path should be enough.

In order to check the error you receive, save the batch file (e.g. my_batch.bat) in C: and than follow the next steps:
    1. Click on "Run..." and type "cmd"
    2. Change your current directory typing "cd c:\"
    3. Launch the bat file typing "my_batch.bat"

If an error occurs, you'd be able to read the error message into the console.

Hope this can help you.