Advanced SQL Server 2005 Express Job Scheduling

I've written a second article here on SQL Team on how to schedule jobs in SQL Server 2005 Express.

Intro

In my previous article we saw how to make simple job scheduling in SQL Server 2005 Express work. We limited the scheduling to one time or daily repeats. Sometimes this isn't enough. In this article we'll take a look at how to make a scheduling solution based on Service Broker worthy of the SQL Server Agent itself including run once, daily, weekly, monthly absolute and relative scheduling:

Scheduling Jobs in SQL Server Express - Part 2

And part 1 of this series:

Scheduling Jobs in SQL Server Express - Part 1

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Print | posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 11:29 AM | Filed Under [ SQL Server ]

# re: Advanced SQL Server 2005 Express Job Scheduling

Thanks for the detailed and easy to read information. I've been dealing with these SQL issues for quite some time. I found part 2 for informative.
12/27/2008 7:56 PM | Job Scheduling Dave

# re: Advanced SQL Server 2005 Express Job Scheduling

why go to all this trouble when you can reuse existing robust functionality inside windows called ......... scheduled Tasks! (available via control panel).

Use the scheduler to specify the required run schedule and then use :

osql.exe -S servername -d database -U username -P password -Q "EXEC myScheduledProc"

as the command to run. This will call and run your procedure for you per schedule without any need to re-invent the wheel.
4/3/2009 5:16 PM | akan

# re: Advanced SQL Server 2005 Express Job Scheduling

sometimes the scheduling is not available on the hosting servers.

but the whole point of the articles are to show what can be done with sql server service broker.
4/3/2009 6:00 PM | Mladen