Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

I'm torn as to whether I'm going to keep this thing installed or go back to an image :)

IE7 brings us tabbed browsing - much better than the MSN toolbar did thank goodness.  And some other niceties I'm sure.  But here are the glitches I've found so far:

1) Yahoo mail thinks it is an “old” browser, so falls back to “old ugly mode.”  Ugh.  Granted, this is probably not an IE bug but still, it's not nice.

2) The toolbars are in the wrong order and you can't move them the right way?  What?  Maybe it's me.  I've got the address bar on top, then the tabs, then the “pulldown” menus.  And I can't move the menus to the top like “every other piece of Windows software in the world.”

3) The tabs are just plain UGLY.

4) Some of this may be caused by the IE7 not liking the MSN Toolbar :)  It appears in the menu with no title.  Just a “blank” entry.  Good, I hated it anyway.  I tolerated it for the tabs :)

But speaking of tabbed browsing - Can we get an option added that will warn you if you close IE while more than one tab is open?  OMG how often have I closed the browser because I'm so used to “Open in New Window” instead of “Open in New Tab.”  ARGH!

Print | posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 11:16 PM

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Espen Antonsen at 7/30/2005 10:34 AM Gravatar
"1) Yahoo mail thinks it is an “old” browser, so falls back to “old ugly mode.” Ugh. Granted, this is probably not an IE bug but still, it's not nice."

Blame Yahoo developers who test based on browser version and not javascript objects. Testing based on browser version will fail on every new release of a browser.

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Vitaliy at 8/4/2005 12:31 AM Gravatar
how do you change back to the orignal "new style" mode, i've already tried going to option-preferences and there was nothing to change. i uninstalled the ie7.

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Mudassir at 8/8/2005 1:19 PM Gravatar
The registry fix works great!
Is there any way to customize toolbar buttons? or move the menubar to top?

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by SAlil at 9/4/2005 10:33 PM Gravatar
How do i switch back to new yahoo mail after uninstallin IE7. It still stuck up with old yahoo look for my account..I tried makin a new account and it shows the new look.

How do i do the same for my old account

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Hilal at 10/7/2005 1:43 AM Gravatar

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by dabomb at 12/14/2005 5:07 AM Gravatar
Salil, seems like it's a cookie, you might want to delete ur cookies or at least the one coresponding to that email account and you should be good.

I would just wipe out all my cookies and temporary internet files.

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Ibanez249 at 3/9/2006 3:31 AM Gravatar
Disable all anti virus software, go to Yahoo Mail, press refresh and voila it should be back to normal. Anti-virus software can prevent Javascripts from running and that is the problem, you can enable the anti-virus as soon as everything is back to normal.

Hope that helps!

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Jennifer at 3/11/2006 1:48 PM Gravatar
I was so excited when Microsoft released the beta of IE7 to the general public. That excitement faded quickly however once I installed the product. I think I'm much better off to continue to use SlimBrowser or Opera. Both are free tabbed web browsers without nearly the bugs that IE7 has. Try them.

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Adam at 6/18/2006 10:34 AM Gravatar
Yeah i agree that not being able to move the adress bar in IE7 totaly sucks. It just makes it harder to use for all the other hundreds of software that had the file menu at the very top of the window. This sucks!!

# re: Yahoo Mail doesn't like IE7

left by Rich at 12/11/2006 9:30 PM Gravatar
Wow what a pain.

I was able to use IE7 with yahoo mail, but now for some reason I am now unable to use the new beta version of yahoo mail to send an email. I keep getting the error not allowed to send to and then my email address. When I revert back to the old version of mail it works !!! At+T tech support told me that they didn't test with IE7 so its not to be used with it yet.

All I can say is that it worked for a while and not nothing. What a pain in the rear.

The old version looks drab in comparison with the new version.