RocketScientist's Miscellaneous Ramblings
posts - 76, comments - 354, trackbacks - 3

Monday, December 28, 2009

SQL Server 2005 SP3 install issue

So I got this message:

MSP Error: 28017  SQL Server Setup cannot write to removable media. To continue, specify a directory on a hard disk attached to the computer where SQL Server will be installed.

And I'm installing to locally attached storage.  After about 20 minutes of cursing, rebooting, and cursing some more, I went to My Computer and disconnected all my network drives.  My logon script helpfully maps network drives, I'd forgotten about them since mapping drives sucks and I don't ever use them (UNC paths for life!).  So I unmapped them and suddenly it worked.

Stupid bug, bad error message, and stupid logon script.

posted @ Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:55 AM | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ KCTechBlog Syndication ]

Installing SQL Server 2005 on a Windows 2008 R2 Cluster

I just had an interesting issue with an installation I thought I'd share.  I was installing SQL Server 2005 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 cluster.  The cluster validates properly (use the cluster validation tool in 2008 R2, it will save you problems) and failed over properly prior to installation.  When installing SQL Server 2005, I got through putting in all the information and when it came time to actaully install the software got a "User has cancelled the installation" error, and a notification to check the logs.  The logs said:

Waiting for actions from remote setup(s)
Breaking wait state and aborting package due to cancel code received: 1602
Remote setup(s) are ready
Notify package action is determined: 1602
        Error Code: 0x800700e9 (233)
Windows Error Text: No process is on the other end of the pipe.

  Source File Name: remotemessagelib\overlappedpipelistener.cpp
Compiler Timestamp: Fri Jul 29 01:13:51 2005
     Function Name: sqls::OverlappedPipeListener::writePipe
Source Line Number: 294

The installation was failing when it attempted to attach to the other cluster node.  The resolution is:

1.  Make sure the task scheduler service is running on the remote cluster node.  If the task scheduler service is a cluster resource, fail that resource over to the remote node (the latter was not an issue on my side, I've read questions from people asking about it though).

2.  Go into your registry (insert standard "don't ever edit the registry" disclaimer here) and go to HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/LSA and change the "disabledomaincreds" from 1 to 0 on EACH CLUSTER NODE and then reboot BOTH CLUSTER NODES.

Then the install worked like a champ.

Big thanks to MS Sql PSS for getting this fixed quickly. 

posted @ Monday, December 28, 2009 2:15 PM | Feedback (1) | Filed Under [ KCTechBlog Syndication ]

Powered by:
Powered By Subtext Powered By ASP.NET